Bug #46868 Installation failure of 6.0.4 on Windows 2003 Ent
Submitted: 23 Aug 2009 5:35 Modified: 24 Aug 2009 15:17
Reporter: Gary Smith Email Updates:
Status: Not a Bug Impact on me:
None 
Category:Connector / NET Severity:S3 (Non-critical)
Version:6.0.4 OS:Microsoft Windows (2003 Ent)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[23 Aug 2009 5:35] Gary Smith
Description:
When installing connector on server, I receive "MySQL Connector Net 6.0.4 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error.  You system has not been modified.  to install this program at a later time, run Set Wizard again.  Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard."

I have tried updating the MSI updater as per Bug #45474.

Failure in the package occurs at "Action ended 22:18:08: UninstallPerfCounterData. Return value 3."  This is an end server.  No visual studio installed.  No non-default products installed (compiled app only, which is, of course, looking for the MySQL 6.0.x lib).

msiexec /l* setup.log /i mysql.data.msi output is included.

I ran into this problem on our development terminal server but the MSI update worked on that machine.  using the same package on this machine did not resolve the problem.

How to repeat:
* Install Windows 2003 Ent on VMWare ESXi 3.5 w/512MB ram, 40gb disk
* Update with all available updated to 8/22/2009
* Install mysql.data.msi 6.0.4

Suggested fix:
Wish I had one
[23 Aug 2009 5:58] Gary Smith
Reading some stuff elsewhere, the follow DID NOT resolve the issue.

lodctr /R
[23 Aug 2009 6:07] Gary Smith
Little more research.  using the lotctr /R caused it to go a little further and stop on the SetDateTime as per Bug #45418.  Changed VM from mutliple CPU to single CPU and install completed.
[24 Aug 2009 7:15] Tonci Grgin
Hi Gary and thanks for your report.

Could it be related to problem described in Bug#45474, Bug#45477, Bug#46257, Bug#46831 (and so on)?
[24 Aug 2009 14:45] Gary Smith
On the outside it looks like it could be possibly related to Bug #46257, but I tried several things to make it work.  The only thing that succesfully made the install work was to a) to logctr /R and then b) set the virtual server to 1 processor.

I'm thinking this has more to do with environment (such as virtualized multi-core server).  I had read all of those reports and tried some things.

What was odd is that this problem also existed on another server and was fixed by just updating the MSI installer but that server isn't a VM instance it's a Windows server hosting on a Xen Dom0.  

I haven't tried to install this on a physical server yet (as I don't have a reason to at this point).  

This ticket was put it as it showed different symptoms from the other tickets.  The root cause may be the same though.

My gut feeling is that it has something to do with the MSI installer on Windows rather than the mysql package.
[24 Aug 2009 15:17] Tonci Grgin
Gary, it could very well be that you're right... In the meantime, I'll close this report as it appears to me that it will be solved together with above mentioned ones. If you stumble upon any piece of relevant info that needs further investigation, feel free to reopen it.