Bug #9710 mysql_client_test fails with 'gbk' is not a compiled character set
Submitted: 7 Apr 2005 10:00 Modified: 5 May 2005 11:42
Reporter: David Dick Email Updates:
Status: Closed Impact on me:
Category:MySQL Server Severity:S3 (Non-critical)
Version:5.0.3-beta OS:Linux (Redhat 7.3 with a 2.4.20 kernel)
Assigned to: Alexander Barkov CPU Architecture:Any

[7 Apr 2005 10:00] David Dick

when i unpack the tar.gz file, cd into the directory and run
./configure --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl/ --enable-assembler --prefix=/usr/local/mysql/
make test

it produces the following

mix_innodb_myisam_binlog       [ pass ]
multi_statement                [ pass ]
multi_update                   [ pass ]
myisam-blob                    [ pass ]
myisam                         [ pass ]
mysql_client_test              [ fail ]

Errors are (from /home/dave/mysql-5.0.3-beta/mysql-test/var/log/mysqltest-time) :
/home/dave/mysql-5.0.3-beta/tests/.libs/lt-mysql_client_test: Character set 'gbk' is not a compiled character set and is not specified in the '/usr/local/mysql//share/mysql/charsets/Index.xml' file
/home/dave/mysql-5.0.3-beta/client/.libs/mysqltest: command "$MYSQL_CLIENT_TEST" failed
(the last lines may be the most important ones)

Aborting: mysql_client_test failed in default mode. To continue, re-run with '--force'.

How to repeat:
The commands are described above.  Machine details follow.

$ uname --machine --release --sysname --processor
Linux 2.4.20 i686 unknown

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)

Suggested fix:

not sure what needs to be done.  happy to supply any futher details about my machine.  I have another mysql installation on the box in /usr/local/mysql, however, it still reports the location of the missing Index.xml file being in /usr/local/mysql even if i change the directory name, so i think it's using the command line parameter i suppiled.
[14 Apr 2005 14:59] Scott MacDonald
I'd like to add my config to this bug, same issue seen with 5.0.3-beta on Solaris 10.

/websites/sources/mysql-5.0.3-beta/tests/.libs/mysql_client_test: Character set 'gbk' is not a compiled character set and is not specified in the '/websites/test/apps/mysql-5.0.3-beta/share/mysql/charsets/Index.xml' file

Configure parms:
./configure --prefix=/websites/test/apps/mysql-5.0.3-beta --localstatedir=/websites/test/data/db-5.0.3-beta --with-unix-socket-path=/websites/test/data/db-5.0.3-beta/mysql.sock

Solaris 10 (FCS) running on Sun Netra 1125 hardware.
[18 Apr 2005 12:20] Scott MacDonald
Well, I removed the line from the client code which triggers the test for this charset, as I'll never use it so I'm not worried about the bug, and the test recompiles and runs fine, but the test suite then falls over later on anyway. There are also issues getting the server running, mysqlmanager, etc. I think it might be best to wait for 5.0.4.
[19 Apr 2005 8:16] Scott MacDonald
I've just tried it, and this seems to be fixed in 5.0.4 beta. Yay.
[20 Apr 2005 2:15] MySQL Verification Team
The 5.0.4 package when compiled in this way has another failed test on Salackware 10.1

ctype_ucs                      [ skipped ]
ctype_ucs_binlog               [ fail ]

Errors are (from /home/miguel/comp/mysql-5.0.4-beta/mysql-test/var/log/mysqltest-time) :
/home/miguel/comp/mysql-5.0.4-beta/client/.libs/mysqltest: At line 7: query 'create table t2 (c char(30)) charset=ucs2' failed: 1115: Unknown character set: 'ucs2'
[5 May 2005 11:42] Alexander Barkov
Thank you for your bug report. This issue has been committed to our
source repository of that product and will be incorporated into the
next release.

If necessary, you can access the source repository and build the latest
available version, including the bugfix, yourself. More information 
about accessing the source trees is available at

Additional info:

This problem was fixed in 5.0.4 tree earlier.