Bug #91844 windows ODBC driver 8.0 fails with SSL connection
Submitted: 31 Jul 2018 11:52 Modified: 1 Aug 2018 8:53
Reporter: Mark Salisbury Email Updates:
Status: Analyzing Impact on me:
None 
Category:Connector / ODBC Severity:S3 (Non-critical)
Version:8.0(w) OS:Microsoft Windows (Windows 10 Professional x64)
Assigned to: Assigned Account CPU Architecture:x86

[31 Jul 2018 11:52] Mark Salisbury
Description:
I found this bug setting up a brand new W10 pro x64 VM (on Azure) from scratch.
I used the latest version 8.0 of the MySQL drivers.
I found that I could connect to another MySQL database (remote) which did not have an SSL requirement, and I can connect to the desired DB from another machine using v5.3 drivers. 
The error is that as soon as one tests the ODBC driver, one gets:
"Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading final connect information', system error: 2"

I removed all MySQL elements from the machine and installed v 5.3 ODBC driver, and had instant success with identical parameters.
The DB I was connecting to is a WPEngine site database, following instructions at: https://wpengine.com/support/setting-remote-database-access/ which work normally.

How to repeat:
On Windows 10 Professional download x86 ODBC MySQL connector v8.0
Add ODBC System driver: MySQL of type ANSII or unicode.
Specify a remote server which requires SSL.
add the TCP/IP address and credentials. The creds don't matter: it doesn't get that far!
Click Test.

Suggested fix:
workaround (not a fix): use a legacy version of the driver.
[3 Jan 15:53] Matt Laski
I had the exact same problems connecting to a WPEngine mysql database using SSL from MySQL Workbench v8.0.13 on Windows 10 v1803 (both the GUI and the included CLI utility).

Downgraded to MySQL Workbench v6.3.10 and immediately connected using the exact same configuration information.  

So glad I found this bug report, its been driving me crazy for a day now trying to figure out why this wasn't working.
[30 May 22:36] Doug Simons
This bug is affecting us and our customers, too. It occurs on Windows 10. For us, typically the connection will succeed the first time, but will crash the second time when trying to connect again from the same process after having closed the first connection. Here is a backtrace showing the crash:

Caught exception 0xC0000005 at 0x00007FFC9C22520C: Access violation.

Current stack trace: 2019-05-07 08:51:400x00007FFC9C22520C : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x000000006E43A1A1 : C:\Program Files\Eggplant\mingw\bin\SSLEAY32.dll : SSL_COMP_get_compression_methods0x000000006E441150 : C:\Program Files\Eggplant\mingw\bin\SSLEAY32.dll : SSL_library_init0x00007FFC9C225799 : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFC9C20A2BC : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFC9C2002A5 : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFC9C1CDCEA : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFC9C1CD89A : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFC9C1EE0CC : C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector ODBC 8.0\myodbc8a.dll : SQLDescribeParam0x00007FFCBBF7C9EC : C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ODBC32.dll : SQLTransact0x00007FFCBBF381D7 : C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ODBC32.dll : SQLAllocHandle0x00007FFCBBF35C6A : C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ODBC32.dll : SQLDriverConnectW0x00007FFCBBF34C1D : C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ODBC32.dll : SQLDriverConnect0x000000006C8C2454 : C:\Program Files\Eggplant\Eggplant.app\CocoaODBC-1.dll : COManagedObjectModel.m (213) : in function (-[COManagedObjectModel open:])0x0000000068F81C4F : C:\Program Files\Eggplant\Library\Frameworks\SenseTalkEngine.framework\Resources\ST_ODBC.xmodule\ST_ODBC.dll : STODBCConnection.m (192) : in function (-[STODBCConnection connectToServer])

Also, note that this appears to be essentially the same backtrace as reported by a Matlab customer here: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/407723-matlab-crashes-when-using-mysql-odb...