Bug #86543 Characters cut off in result grid
Submitted: 1 Jun 2017 14:34 Modified: 1 Jun 2017 17:15
Reporter: Alan Curry Email Updates:
Status: Duplicate Impact on me:
None 
Category:MySQL Workbench Severity:S3 (Non-critical)
Version:6.3.9 OS:Microsoft Windows (7)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[1 Jun 2017 14:34] Alan Curry
Description:
After upgrading to 6.3.9, the result grid appearance changed. The row height is smaller, and lowercase letters are not readable because their descenders are cut off.

I've tried changing fonts int he preferences dialog, and the row height scales proportionally, always cutting off the descenders.

How to repeat:
Try this query:

select 'ogpq' x1, 'ij' x2, 'vy' x3;

In the result grid, each group of letters is hard to distinguish. 'g' and 'p' and 'q' look like slightly distorted 'o'. 'i' and 'j' differ only by a serif. 'y' looks exactly like 'v'.

Suggested fix:
Revert the change that made the row height too small to contain the letters.
[1 Jun 2017 16:22] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the bug report. Please attach (Files tab) a screenshot of the issue?. Thanks.
[1 Jun 2017 17:07] Alan Curry
screenshot of cut-off letters

Attachment: nodescenders.png (image/png, text), 48.69 KiB.

[1 Jun 2017 17:12] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the feedback. Duplicate of https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=84999.
[1 Jun 2017 17:13] Alan Curry
I've added a screenshot. Would have done this to start with but I didn't see any way to attach files in the initial bug report form.
[1 Jun 2017 17:15] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the feedback.
[30 Aug 2017 18:20] Fred Myers
This issue has been bugging me for some time: Having MySQL Workbench cut off the descenders of lower-case characters (and upper-case Q looking like O).  It really can cause problems in recognizing the data values, leading to errors.

I found a work-around.  I really, really, really want this bug to be fixed, so I hesitate to even post the work-around.  On the other hand, the bug has been there for a while now, and I haven't seen any indication that it is viewed as something important to fix.  (Which it is!)

But in the interim, I don't want to leave others facing the same problems I 
did.

So here's the work-around: just click the "Wrap Cell Content" icon (right-most icon at the top of the grid area).
[14 Dec 2018 22:01] Beusee Don
I'd like this bug fixed also.  Another work-around is to use a different font. 
 The Consolas font seems to work well.