Bug #85583 After restarting windows service no longer works after full install
Submitted: 22 Mar 2017 15:32 Modified: 23 Mar 2017 17:09
Reporter: Christian Weithøft Email Updates:
Status: Can't repeat Impact on me:
None 
Category:MySQL Server Severity:S1 (Critical)
Version:5.7.17.0 OS:Microsoft Windows (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[22 Mar 2017 15:32] Christian Weithøft
Description:
I use mysql-installer-community-5.7.17.0.msi to install a developer version of MySQL. I choose full install, don't change or set any values other than default. Supply root password and create a user.

Allow installation to setup server.
Allow installation to start server on startup.
Allow installation to start Workbench to verify installation 

When starting Workbench first time I check "Save password in vault".
Do an import of a database. Works fine. Schema shows in Workbench after a refresh. Can select data from the database.

Restart PC. Workbench can no longer access the database. Password is wrong.

Tried to verify the error by uninstalling completely, restart and install from scratch. Second time I just stopped the service in Windows and started it again after doing the install and database import. Same pattern 

How to repeat:
On a clean Windows 10, use mysql-installer-community-5.7.17.0.msi to do a full install. Configure server and allow to run service at start. 

Start Workbench and create a database (or import one) Save password to vault.

Shut down Workbench. Stop and start MySQL57 service. 

Start Workbench to verify that the password no longer is valid.
[22 Mar 2017 17:44] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the bug report. I couldn't repeat on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ( try with mysql.exe command client to connect with the server and if you are able to connect create new connection with WorkBench using same parameters). As last resort since you don't have data to preserve delete the data directory and read the Manual how to create the new data directory and temporary root password.
[23 Mar 2017 17:09] Christian Weithøft
I was able to solve the problem - rather finding a way around the problem.

I did a complete uninstall. 

Tried to run .msi file as Administrator. Had to start a cmd prompt as administrator, from the cmd run .msi file. 

I choose to install to different directories. (both on my D: drive) 

Had a look at my.ini and saw that two path parameters had mixed "/" and "\" as separator. Changed that to always use "\" (Windows standard) 

Stopping and starting the service did not affect usage, neither did a Windows restart.