Bug #79309 insert statement puts the value "testing" in place of text string
Submitted: 17 Nov 2015 10:12 Modified: 18 Nov 2015 2:02
Reporter: Kirby Glad Email Updates:
Status: Closed Impact on me:
None 
Category:MySQL Server: DML Severity:S1 (Critical)
Version:5.7.8.rc OS:Microsoft Windows
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any
Tags: insert, testing

[17 Nov 2015 10:12] Kirby Glad
Description:
when I execute this statement: insert into DSIM.message set `message_name`='this is the real name of the message'

The column "message_name" receives the value of "testing"

DSIM is the correct schema name, and there is a table named "message" with a field "message_name" varchar 45

Only the field message_name is affected.

How to repeat:
Create the schema and table as outlined.  Do the insert.  Then show the file.  It does the same thing if you do the statement programatically in PHP or if you run it manually in the UI tool.

Suggested fix:
I think some programmer left some testing code in the build.  To a string search for "testing" in the code.

I have not been able to find any work around for this yet.
[17 Nov 2015 12:36] MySQL Verification Team
Thank you for taking the time to report a problem.  Unfortunately you are not using a current version of the product you reported a problem with -- the problem might already be fixed. Please download a new version from http://www.mysql.com/downloads/

If you are able to reproduce the bug with one of the latest versions, please change the version on this bug report to the version you tested and change the status back to "Open".  Again, thank you for your continued support of MySQL.
[17 Nov 2015 12:44] MySQL Verification Team
anyway, it's probably a trigger on that table.
[18 Nov 2015 1:28] Kirby Glad
Version updated - confirmed in 5.7.8rc

I have also tried work arounds such as putting the field name in `` and including the file and the schema such as `dsim`.`message`.`message_name`

The value written to the table continues to be "testing"
[18 Nov 2015 2:02] Kirby Glad
I found this problem was caused by a trigger that appeared to be deleted but was still active.  Closed