Bug #73389 MySQL com. incl. MySQL for Excel 1.2.1:Exception of HRESULT: 0x800A03EC
Submitted: 25 Jul 2014 11:38 Modified: 6 Aug 2014 21:38
Reporter: Gert Jan Zeilstra Email Updates:
Status: Closed Impact on me:
Category:MySQL for Windows: MySQL for Excel Severity:S2 (Serious)
Version:1.2.1 OS:Windows (7 Pro 64 bits)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any
Tags: Excel, MySQL, plugin

[25 Jul 2014 11:38] Gert Jan Zeilstra
When using the Excel COM plug with Excel 2013 it throws an error directly after adding the data to the sheet.
The error message in Excel states:
An Error Ocurred
An error occured when trying to import the data.
Press Back to continue.
Exception of HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

I added a view in Excel 5.6 that looks similar to this to generate the data:
    DEFINER = `root`@`localhost` 
VIEW `today` AS
        `cd`.`sc` AS `sc`,
        `cd`.`ts` AS `ts`,
        `cd`.`UD` AS `UD`,
        `cd`.`BID` AS `BID`,
        `cd`.`SID` AS `SID`,
        `cd`.`idcd` AS `idcd`
        (`cd`.`ts` >= curdate())
    order by `cd`.`SID` , `cd`.`idcd`

The above view works without problems in MySQL when running the view.

The code also works when using now() instead of curdate(). But upon applying the change I have to remove the spaces between now and () to avoid an error. After it is applied the Workbench shows the space between now and () again. Each time I have to remove the spaces.

In a prior release of MySQL ( it worked without problems.

System has all patches and updates installed.

How to repeat:
Take blank workbook and run the view. Occurence is 100%. I do not know if the error really impacts the output results because it does insert data into the Excel sheet. There is a serious risk that data is lost because the error is reported when importing data.

Suggested fix:
The source is here:
COMException - Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

There is a code syntax issue in the COM plugin that must be fixed but I do not have access to the source of your module to pin point to the exact location and fix. We cannot buy Excel 2010 anymore but I suspect it runs properly on that office version.

Source of info:
[25 Jul 2014 11:51] Gert Jan Zeilstra
Added error message to Synopsis so it can be found easier.
[25 Jul 2014 18:03] Gert Jan Zeilstra
I rechecked this issue against an older installation with version 1.1.1. of the Excel COM plugin and this did not have this problem. Version 1.1.1. however has installation issues and require a repair once installed before it works on Excel 2013.

After looking for more ways that downgrading the plugin and also MySQL I looked at 1.3.1. RC and found that some code pieces have been changed that may impact the data retrieval error that I found. I am pleased to provide feedback that the issues are now solved after running with RC 1.3.1 of the Excel COM plugin.

Another issues seemed also to be improved quite a bit is the activation from the Excel Ribbon. During testing with 1.2.1. I found that the plug-in was inconsistent with its activation. You some times needed to click on the icon multiple times before it would load in Excel 2013. This is not the case with RC 1.3.1.

Also busy pointer in Excel 2013 has gone. When clicking on the plugin the Excel pointer would show that it was busy but nothing would happen. This was a stability concern using the plugin. With RC 1.3.1. this is also fixed.

I did not find a bug in the release notes for RC 1.3.1. that matches my problems so I will leave this open for the engineers to review. My own assessment looking at the error is: the code compatibility has been improved with Excel and COM plugin stability has increased removing the unwanted issues.
[25 Jul 2014 18:10] Gert Jan Zeilstra
For those seeking the fix:

You better uninstall the MySQL for Excel 1.2.1. before installing this new release candidate. It cannot be upgraded from version 1.2.0. and lower as you can read in the release notes.

Make sure you do not download the package at the top of the tab but the individual package at the bottom which states Windows (x86, 32-bit), MSI Installer 1.3.1 1.5M (mysql-for-excel-1.3.1.msi).
[6 Aug 2014 21:32] Javier Treviño
Hi Gert,
Thanks for your detailed feedback about all the issues you had before and that are now fixed in version 1.3.x.

During the evolution of the product we changed a lot of code, so it is possible in the re-writing we fixed some issues that had no bug reports.

I am glad to hear these bugs are gone in the latest 1.3.1 RC version (actually they may have been fixed since the 1.3.0 Beta one).

We will close this bug as the original issue you reported is fixed.

Again, your feedback and bug reports are very important to us, so thank you.
[6 Aug 2014 21:34] Javier Treviño
BTW I noted you said you had no access to the source code, it is available here:

[6 Aug 2014 21:38] Javier Treviño
Thank you for your bug report. This issue has already been fixed in the latest released version of MySQL for Excel (1.3.1), which you can download at