Bug #69371 "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" editing new column name
Submitted: 1 Jun 2013 0:07 Modified: 7 Jun 2013 19:57
Reporter: Ed Segall Email Updates:
Status: Can't repeat Impact on me:
None 
Category:MySQL Workbench: Modeling Severity:S3 (Non-critical)
Version:5.2.47 OS:Microsoft Windows (Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[1 Jun 2013 0:07] Ed Segall
Description:
Opened an existing .mwb file. This model has about 60 tables and 1 view. I created four new tables using the Table icon and the 'T' keybinding. I then opened one of the new tables for Edit and renamed it to SpeedTune. I named its 1st column TimeUsedMVT by pasting that name after copying it from a Word document, and changed its datatype to DOUBLE. I unchecked the PK box as this column is not a primary key. I then copied the name CrestTime from the same Word document and pasted it into the Column Name for the next column. The paste was successful, but a window popped up informing me of the exception "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Developer notes:

MySQL Workbench CE for Windows version 5.2.47  revision 10398
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\eds\AppData\Roaming\MySQL\Workbench
Data Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Workbench CE 5.2.47
Cairo Version: 1.8.8
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
CPU: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3360M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 7.9 GiB RAM
Active video adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Installed video RAM: -1984 MB
Current video mode: 1600 x 900 x 4294967296 colors
Used bit depth: 32
Driver version: 8.15.10.2639
Installed display drivers: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Current user language: English (United States)

Exception = System.NullReferenceException
Message = Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
FullText = System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MySQL.Utilities.AdvNodeTextBox.textBox_TextChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

How to repeat:
See Description for details. This is the first time it happened. I don't know if it's repeatable. However, I have had Workbench crash many times in the past doing other things. This is the first time it asked me to file a bug report. 

I see there are many other very similar instances, but they were closed due to lack of feedback. I will provide feedback as needed. If the EER file is needed, I will have to get permission to send it, but I am optimistic that I will be able to do so.
[4 Jun 2013 11:27] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the bug report. I couldn't repeat with my own model file, if it repeatable with your model project please provide it (private if you wish). Thanks.
[4 Jun 2013 18:19] Ed Segall
I was not able to reproduce the bug. I have attached the model anyway, in case seeing it is helpful to your investigation. 

I attached two versions of the  file. The first is the version that I opened before making the change that led to the exception. The second I saved immediately after the exception and the Bug Report prompt, while MySQL Workbench was still running. In it, you can see the four tables that I added. They are in the upper right corner of the model, and unlike the other tables, they are the default color (#98BFDA). You can also see that in the new SpeedTune table, only the first column has been added. The second column does not appear. 

Something else to note: Per Bug #69372, the Bug Report function didn't work. Perhaps both issues had a common cause. 

Also, perhaps I should have noted in the original report: I am working with a dual display system. It's a laptop with an external display I believe I had MySQL Workbench mostly or fully on the external display. I don't recall if it was set for full-screen display or not, and if not, whether it was confined to the external screen or if parts of it spanned both screens. FYI, the external display is arranged to be above the internal display.
[7 Jun 2013 19:57] Miguel Solorzano
Thank you for the feedback. If you are able to repeat please re-open this bug report and describe the way for. Thanks.