Bug #4122 update fails
Submitted: 13 Jun 2004 17:49 Modified: 23 Jun 2004 21:37
Reporter: M Wensink Email Updates:
Status: Duplicate Impact on me:
None 
Category:Connector / J Severity:S1 (Critical)
Version:3.1.2 OS:Microsoft Windows (Windows 2000)
Assigned to: Mark Matthews CPU Architecture:Any

[13 Jun 2004 17:49] M Wensink
Description:
I am developping a web aplication that uses a MySQl database. Recently I updated the 4.1.1 release to a 4.1.2 release of the data base server and I also update the J-connector to the 3.1.2 alpha version.
Unfortunately my application isn't working anymore.
I am using a PreparedStatment to update user information.

     sql.append ("UPDATE User_tbl SET User_logName = ?, ").
         append ("User_passwd = ?, User_firstName = ?, ").
         append ("User_lastName = ?, User_emailAddr = ?, ").
         append ("User_role = ?, User_locked = ? WHERE User_ID = ?");
     List<Object> values = new ArrayList<Object>(8);
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_logName());
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_passwd());
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_firstName());
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_lastName());
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_emailAddr());
     values.add (new Byte (userInfo.getUser_role()));
     values.add (new Boolean (userInfo.getUser_locked()));
     values.add (userInfo.getUser_id());
     pstmt = conn.prepareStatement (sql.toString());
     setValues (pstmt, values);
     System.out.println (pstmt);
     noOfRows = pstmt.executeUpdate();

When I make a printout of the constructed PS everyting looks fine, but the system throws an exception telling that User_logName is null.

When I execute the same SQL-query using the ControlCenter there is no problem and the user table is updated as should be.

What can be wrong?

P.S. I left out the details for getting the connection and filling in the values in the PS.

How to repeat:
Construct a data base with the following statements

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS user_tbl;
CREATE TABLE `user_tbl` (
  `User_ID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `User_logName` varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
  `User_passwd` varchar(16) NOT NULL default '',
  `User_firstName` varchar(15) NOT NULL default '',
  `User_lastName` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
  `User_emailAddr` varchar(30) default '',
  `User_role` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `User_locked` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`User_ID`),
  UNIQUE KEY `User_logName` (`User_logName`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1; 

INSERT INTO user_tbl
VALUES (0,'admin','password','Administrator','',NULL,0,0);
[23 Jun 2004 21:37] Mark Matthews
This is a duplicate of #4119, which is already fixed in the source code repository, and will be released as 3.1.3.