Bug #30272 Excel import failed!
Submitted: 7 Aug 2007 11:01 Modified: 6 Sep 2007 9:52
Reporter: Faddy Saad Email Updates:
Status: Closed Impact on me:
Category:Connector / ODBC Severity:S2 (Serious)
Version:3.51.17 OS:Any
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[7 Aug 2007 11:01] Faddy Saad
When I try to import a table from my mysql server using excel 2003, I get the following error on table "person" which includes column "Id":
"Unknown column person_0.Id in field.list"

I have installed the new mysql odbc connector and defined an appropriate system DSN.

How to repeat:
Simply try to connect to a mysql db using microsoft query and import tables to excel.
Be sure that you have mysql odbc installed (3.51.17).

P.S. It DOES work with odbc 3.51.12 (!?)
[7 Aug 2007 11:54] MySQL Verification Team
Thank you for the bug report. Could you please provide the create table
statement of the offended table and the server version you are using.
Thanks in advance.
[7 Aug 2007 13:49] Faddy Saad

The server version is: 5.0.45-community-nt MySQL Community Edition
I have created the table using mysql admin GUI.
Note that the problem didn't occur after I installed odbc driver ver. 3.51.16 which I have right now.

Please advice.
[19 Aug 2007 16:24] Tonci Grgin
Faddy, please do the following:
 - Test what is actually sent FROM Excel to MySQL server by editing the query text in MSQRY and/or checking server general query log. You will see that FROM your_table_name AS your_table_name_0 is missing! Basically, sometimes, MSQRY sends bad query to MySQL server. Details in bug#28334.
 - Post as much info as you can, ie. MySQL server version *and* table structure(already asked !) as Excel is known for miss-handling BLOB fields for example.
 - Update to latest GA (3.51.19).
and inform me of results.
[6 Sep 2007 9:52] Tonci Grgin
Thank you for your bug report. This issue has been committed to our source repository of that product and will be incorporated into the next release.

If necessary, you can access the source repository and build the latest available version, including the bug fix. More information about accessing the source trees is available at


Explanation: Faddy, please see discussion on MSQRY32 in Bug#30137. I think your report is duplicate of mine in that part. As for solution, I can confirm such error (if Bug#30137 does describe your problem) *is* fixed in rev736 of MyODBC. New release (3.51.20) should be out shortly.