Bug #2620 character_set_client is influenced by server
Submitted: 3 Feb 2004 0:11 Modified: 4 Feb 2004 1:51
Reporter: Alexander Barkov Email Updates:
Status: Closed Impact on me:
Category:MySQL Server Severity:S2 (Serious)
Version:4.1.2-bk-current OS:
Assigned to: Alexander Barkov CPU Architecture:Any

[3 Feb 2004 0:11] Alexander Barkov

Guilhem wrote:

I made Dmitri run the same tests, same result.
If I start mysqld with no charset option,
and I open a 4.1 mysql client, 
@@session.character_set_client == latin1.
If I start mysqld with --default-character-set=latin5
and I open a 4.1 mysql client, 
@@session.character_set_client == latin5.
1) either this "select @@..." does not show the character_set_client of
the connection (but maybe the default of the server?)
2) or this does not behave like in the slide number 45 of your Bordeaux
presentation (where it is said "charset of client is the
--default-character-set of the client or the charset the client was
compiled with).

How to repeat:
Run the above.
[3 Feb 2004 0:11] Alexander Barkov
Guilhem wrote in the next letter:

I started 4.1 server with --default-character-set=latin5,
and I have a db 'test' which I had created before (so with latin1).
When I do a "USE test" it works ok but the server prints
040130 22:51:37  Unknown character set: 'latin1_swedish_ci'
in the .err file.
I am surprised, because I have all charsets on my machine
(--with-extra-charsets=complex) and I usually run my mysqld
with latin1, and it works.
[4 Feb 2004 1:51] Alexander Barkov
Thank you for your bug report. This issue has been committed to our
source repository of that product and will be incorporated into the
next release.

If necessary, you can access the source repository and build the latest
available version, including the bugfix, yourself. More information 
about accessing the source trees is available at