Bug #14838 Mysql
Submitted: 10 Nov 2005 16:15 Modified: 11 Nov 2005 12:46
Reporter: Roshan Abraham Email Updates:
Status: Can't repeat Impact on me:
None 
Category:Connector / ODBC Severity:S2 (Serious)
Version:3.51.12 OS:Microsoft Windows (Windows XP)
Assigned to: Miguel Solorzano CPU Architecture:Any

[10 Nov 2005 16:15] Roshan Abraham
Description:
I used MySQL ODBC for connecting mySql to Microsoft access, it used to work fine until one day when the mysql server address had to be changed.

The old server IP was 10.0.0.101 and the myODBC used to have the server address as 10.0.0.101 and it worked fine, but ever since the change to a new server and got the new IP address 10.0.10.101 I cannot access the DB through access. 
I have changed the details of the server in the connector/odbc 
Accessed from Administrative tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) -> System DSN. 
I have changed the server address in the correct area but mysql odbc doesn't take the new server IP address it instead uses the old one (10.0.0.101) and access says call to ODBC failed.

Please do let me know where the problem arises and also if I have provided enough details for tracking the problem.

How to repeat:
Not sure, 
I use a name in the System DSN called "Payx user" and have configuration for connecting to server 10.0.0.101

I changed the IP address of the server to 10.0.10.101 then I changed the server info in the same place as above but for odbc use with "Payx user" the system somehow remembers 10.0.0.101 and I cannot get it to change to 10.0.10.101

Suggested fix:
I have tried (not a fix, but shows what i have tried)
Remove the "Payx user" from the mysql ODBC info and restarted the machine and added the "Payx user" back with the new info. 
But it still holds the old server ip of 10.0.0.101
[10 Nov 2005 22:36] Miguel Solorzano
I was unable to repeat this issue. Notice that changing the DSN with the
ODBC Windows manager only isn't enough, you need to delete and
re-link the tables with the new DSN because Access save this information
in the system objects of the database.
[11 Nov 2005 12:46] Roshan Abraham
Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked up another site
http://www.ucisa.ac.uk/help/admin/db_access_table_remoterefresh

I did a refresh with the "prompt for new location" and now it works fine (links to 10.0.10.101 -> new server address)

I guess it wasnt a problem with the ODBC.
Thanks