Bug #10334 sqldriverconnect fails with a system (global) dsn
Submitted: 3 May 2005 13:54 Modified: 26 Jul 2007 0:26
Reporter: eid0 Email Updates:
Status: Can't repeat Impact on me:
None 
Category:Connector / ODBC Severity:S1 (Critical)
Version:3.51.11 and 3.51.10 OS:Microsoft Windows (win32)
Assigned to: CPU Architecture:Any

[3 May 2005 13:54] eid0
Description:
My program used myodbc for years. All went good with 3.51.06.
Now I upgraded myodbc and windoze and the myodbc didn't connect neither at localhost or remote hosts.
The dsn  i use is a global dsn. If I use it with access, access crash.
Don't know if it works with other kind of dns (user).
The log that I put in the myodbc driver doesn't appear in any place.

my code that doesn't work is:

if (SQLAllocHandle (SQL_HANDLE_ENV, NULL, &(serverenv->henv)) != SQL_SUCCESS)
return -1;

SQLSetEnvAttr (serverenv->henv, SQL_ATTR_ODBC_VERSION, (SQLPOINTER) SQL_OV_ODBC3,SQL_IS_UINTEGER);

if (SQLAllocHandle (SQL_HANDLE_DBC, serverenv->henv, &(serverenv->hdbc)) != SQL_SUCCESS)
	    return -1;

status = SQLDriverConnect (serverenv->hdbc, 0, (UCHAR *) dataSource, SQL_NTS,(UCHAR *) &buf, sizeof (buf), &buflen, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE);

-------
The sqldriverconnect fails with a -1, dataSource is with value "DSN=nameofdsn". I have downgraded the myodbc to 3.51.6 and my code is working again, without any changes.

Greets

How to repeat:
create a global dsn

use this dsn with my code, or with access (access crash, my code returns -1 after sqldriverconnect

Suggested fix:
no idea
[15 May 2005 8:49] Vasily Kishkin
Sorry. But I could't repeat that bug. I created test program and it worked fine with DSN.
[15 May 2005 9:56] eid0
for Vasily Kishkin:
Hi, did you call SQLDriverConnect with (UCHAR *) dataSource = "DSN=nameofglobaldsn"  and nothing more in the string?
To me it always returns -1, downgrading myodbc sqldriverconnect works ok.

Thankyou
[16 May 2005 5:20] Vasily Kishkin
Probably there is a problem with SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE in SQLDriverConnect(). I assigned the bug to developer.
[26 Jul 2007 0:26] Jim Winstead
As long as a valid window handle is provided as the second argument to SQLDriverConnect(), I have no problem using SQLDriverConnect(..., SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE) on Microsoft Windows using 3.51.17. It uses GetForegroundWindow() to retrieve a window handle even though this is a console application. I've tested with both a user DSN and a system DSN.

Here's my test program:

#include <windows.h>
#undef UNICODE
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sql.h>
#include <sqlext.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	SQLRETURN rc;
	SQLHENV henv;
	SQLHDBC hdbc;
	SQLCHAR in[500], out[500];
	SQLSMALLINT len;

	rc= SQLAllocEnv(&henv);
	if (!SQL_SUCCEEDED(rc))
		exit(1);

	rc= SQLAllocConnect(henv, &hdbc);
	if (!SQL_SUCCEEDED(rc)) {
		SQLRETURN lrc;
		SQLCHAR sqlstate[6], message[SQL_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH];
		SQLINTEGER native;
		SQLSMALLINT messagelen;

		lrc= SQLGetDiagRec(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc, 1, sqlstate, &native, message, sizeof(message), &messagelen);
		if (SQL_SUCCEEDED(lrc))
			fprintf(stderr, "state: %6s, message: %*s (%d)\n", sqlstate, messagelen, message, native);
		exit(1);
	}
	
	sprintf((char *)in, "%s", "DSN=sysneedinfo");
	rc= SQLDriverConnect(hdbc, GetForegroundWindow(), in, SQL_NTS, out, sizeof(out), &len, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE);

	if (!SQL_SUCCEEDED(rc)) {
		SQLRETURN lrc;
		SQLCHAR sqlstate[6], message[SQL_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH];
		SQLINTEGER native;
		SQLSMALLINT messagelen;

		lrc= SQLGetDiagRec(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc, 1, sqlstate, &native, message, sizeof(message), &messagelen);
		if (SQL_SUCCEEDED(lrc))
			fprintf(stderr, "state: %6s, message: %*s (%d)\n", sqlstate, messagelen, message, native);
		exit(1);
	}

	fprintf(stderr, "out: %*s\n", len, out);

	return 0;
}